Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Real Eaters

There are so many different ways to live a life in the US. In that way it is an amazing place to live. But when it comes to the food world there are so many choices and advice that it can become overwhelming. Now as a soon to be food scientist it has come time for me to ask myself the question of what do I want to do with my life? What part of this vast food system am I going to take part in?

One way to help me decide s to try to identify what all is out there and I'm sure I don't have to tell you that there is A LOT!

Omnivores
Vegetarians
Vegans
Raw Foodists
Localvores
Convenience Seekers
Health Conscience
Indulgers
People on the Go
Children
Mothers
Elderly
People with Allergies


But what is the average or Real Eater out there? Is there one? I guess I would describe the real eater is being someone that may have a family and a 9-5 (or more) that wants fresh convenient food. This person probably also indulges once in a while on packaged foods such as chips and perhaps cookies and ice cream. This is probably what I would call the real eater. This is pretty much what my family is.
However, there are many more emerging trends of people that want pre-prepared foods, diet foods, snack foods, fair trade food, organic foods. So what is it that I want to involve myself in.

I have developed many opinions about food and food systems in the past four years. Without going into much detail about how I feel about all the other categories, the two that I am most interested in are Locally produced foods, and foods catered to people with allergies.

That's all I have time for, for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.