Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Connection

I have come to understand that some of the joys of eating lies in the act of personally creating the food, and in sharing it with the ones we love. 


The routine of stirring homemade gooey oatmeal on the weekend at the cottage for you and your family helps you to realize that it is the weekend and a long relaxed morning is going to ensue. During the busy week, coming home and going through the act of boiling water for tea can bring comfort and instant relaxation after a hard day. Not only does this connection with our food allow us to think about what we are putting into our bodies the matter in which we share and eat food can actually make it taste better to you. What tastes better than the apple cobbler you remember eating at your grandparents cottage after a long day of fishing and playing outside? Why are holiday foods so special? We have those special dishes that may not seem so special to anyone else, but the holiday just wouldn't be right without that pie, or cranberry relish. The dishes become special with the memories connected to the food, whether it be the routine of doing it every day, or the memories connected from prolonged holiday tradition. 

My love for my family is showed through the food that I make them. I take the time to make my dad his favorite pie, or dinner for my mom on mothers day. It is care and devotion that I put into my food to share with people that I love. I believe that food should be created with love and shared with love. This is part of the message that I want to share with people about food. 

No comments: